Saturday, March 9, 2019

It's Time

When Jax and I got back from town on Friday the third and final missing walkie talkie from the mountain lion incident a few months ago is sitting on the counter in the kitchen. No note, no explanation, it's just there.

It's Saturday morning, the sun is shining, though it went back and forth all day, it isn't raining. Jax who has seen very few people during the winter is starving for attention. He quickly realizes that everyone is coming to the window to register so he sits on the back of the couch in the window to make sure everyone pets him. If, you look in the dictionary under "attention slut" it just says "Jax".
It feels really good walking around the property and seeing everyone having such a good time and they should because I have to say every single one of them are good people. Really good. There's been a little tinge of excitement in the air for some playing for the first time both courses and even for the veterans who are going to taste virgin disc soil.

As the players are going out on the course one of them comes to me to tell me he locked his keys in his Subaru and do I have a coat hanger. I tell him to go play I'll take care of it. Over the years this has probably happened 20 times and I have become an expert of sorts breaking into vehicles with a coat hanger. For 30 minutes I pull on the handle, push the lock button forward, pressure the window button with the end of the hanger and 20 minutes later a player who is done joins me with another coat hanger and then another. We're dropping hangers and clothes pens and various tools we're using to break in inside the vehicles and finally after an hour and a half I feel bad as I have to go start picking up players who are done on the outer edges of the property with the side by side. I pass the guy who locked his keys in his car and apologize telling him I and others tried for a long time but couldn't get in. Between the twists and turns of the coat hangers and the non-cooperation of the Subaru collectively the three of us are 23 IQ points dumber than we were when we started.

I get back to the lodge and he asks me if I have anymore hangers and I have one left. He comes back about three minutes later and says "Got it first time. Thank you." I didn't tell the others.



No comments: