Monday, January 14, 2019

A Few Things

After a good snow the first thing to do is sweep with a push broom and then rake to get all the fresh snow out of the feeding areas of Breakfast at Tiffany's, 1, 2, and 3 before it gets packed down.
In the early days the only guest I would get in the winter were photographers. They show up and say "I want white snow on red rock. Take me to a place that nobody has ever been before for a shot no one has ever taken." I say "Ok, let's go." They'd say "How long we going to be?" and of course I would say "I don't know. No one has ever been there before."





Polaris broke and axle on the way back from Chicken Corner and a big thanks to Mad Bro for ordering a new one and then coming out the next day and fixing it so I didn't have to trailer it to town.
The thousand plus pound dead cow is gone. No tracks of anything that took it, just gone. Jax and I wandered around a few hundred feet in every direction of where it was and, gone, gone, and gone.
When Michelle dropped off Jax last week she said she had to borrow my truck to go get something. That was a week ago. However she left me a really nice Jeep. Before she left she said she didn't sleep very well because of the big all night fight in the creek to the north of me. Sounded like to two cats. I had hear two ringtails fighting running across the roof and in the crawlspace under the lodge but she said what she heard was bigger than that. There has been a fox walking around each night searching for a parent or relative of some sort. It's a sad bark and growing weaker from various places around the property, almost sounding painful last night but she said that wasn't it.

The next day while looking for the cow Jax and I found mountain lion footprints heading north. Hiking the next day we found more mountain lion tracks by the boat ramp heading south. They may have met and that's what Michelle heard. I've never had a mountain lion in January before but might have two now and also explain the fox that is missing a friend.



No comments: