Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Day of the Predators

I've been rehabbing a heel injury sustained coming down Jackson Ladder off the Amasa Back last week and so with pretty stiff winds the last two days it was a good time to accomplish stuff around the lodge. To my surprise and I guess that's because I've been gone so much the last few weeks there are three birds of prey that are visiting pretty regular. There is one large one, a medium size, and a small but very quick and maneuverable perhaps falcon of some sort. On Monday all three visited within five minutes of each other. I chased the large one off out front, probably a female Sharp-shinned hawk or Cooper's hawk, walked around back and there was a Sharp-shinned on the ground staring into the bush at trapped songbirds at Tiffany's Three, it flew off. Then I walked back around to the front of the lodge, went inside, looked out the back window and the small predator flew right into the bush at Tiffany's Three sending songbirds scattering in every direction and so far this Tuesday morning it's continued with three chase off's before noon.

No comments: