Saturday, November 15, 2014

Neighborhood Watch

The white-tailed antelope squirrels have the best security system I've ever seen and that includes eight years as a prison guard in the Army. Whenever they sense or see danger they sound a high pitched warning. I, and everybody else (all the little people), look to find the white-tailed that is sounding the alarm and see which way it is looking and there you will find your hawk, fox, skunk, snake, person walking up from the river, vehicle coming up the driveway, or somebody forgot to close the garage doors and they are banging in the wind. They know everything. It was a couple years before I understood what the warning sounds were from various critters but nobody does it like the white-tailed. Many times by the intensity of the call and if it trails off at the end or not I can generally guess correctly who the threat is. Today it's a hawk but I can't find it without a little help from my friends.

No comments: