Monday, November 17, 2014

We Have Contact

I've been setting up the Go Pro each morning in the main feeding area I call "Breakfast at Tiffanys". There are actually three locations I feed each morning but this one gets the most action and I'm trying to find out who my potential adversary is that's trying to kill the song birds. It's only Day Two of the set up and I get a quick glimpse. The area is already empty from a white-tailed warning just before but while I didn't see it go by in real life the Go Pro picked it up nicely. A few seconds later you'll hear the white-tailed warning signal, then another one. Inside the lodge I heard them both. Next you'll hear the front screen door open, my familiar "Where is he?" Then the screen door closes as I head out for the search. Hearing the next white-tailed warning I head around to the east side of the lodge and we have contact. Most important is to take a picture first so when I get back inside I can increase the picture size for detail and identification. Next video it while it's stationary and again while it's flying. Sometimes I can't tell what kind of predator it is because the main identification feature may be it's tail whether it's squared off as in sharp-shinned hawk or rounded off in Cooper's hawk. If I can get video of it flying I have an even better chance.

No comments: