Wednesday, November 5, 2014

The Anti-Cline

At clean up of the helicopter crash a few months ago I spoke with one of the guys doing the core drills who told me they found multiple arrowhead sites on the Anti-Cline point. With Andrea and Shelly here who come for a week or two every year and are pretty much game for any sort of discovery we headed up to grid search the Anti-Cline point. Looking down at the road going up Hurrah Pass on the right side and coming down on the left side. Base Camp in the very center of the picture just this side of the beach at the widest part of the river. As I got to within the last 150 feet or so of the top of the Anti-Cline there was a 30 foot deep chasm that had to be crossed. In looking for an alternative way around it I found enough fallen rock part way down on the south side that I might be able to work my way along the rock slides that were resting dangerously just below the top. I worked my way down with the aid of a tree with broken branches I could hang on to but then came to a large piece of rock that had broken away and I'd have to go through a small slit in it to maybe be able to cross the chasm. I saw one set of big horn prints, no human prints at all, and it looked like even the big horn had changed it's mind and come back up the same way. It was too dicey and in a rare display of common sense I turned back working my way along the ready to fall at any moment trail I had already done. If there are arrowhead sites on that last 150 feet I doubt I could get anybody else to take the trail to get there.

No comments: