Friday, September 5, 2014

Kobae is Missing (Day Three)

I started at daybreak. Dirt biked up to his favorite bush part way up Hurrah. Then dirt biked over to Last Hurrah to the north. No tracks but found a hose in Last Hurrah's garage that had possibilities. I brought it back put a flashlight, a headlamp, and the go pro on it and pushed it as far as I could. Here's the result Whoops the video is processing according to YouTube and I'll post it as soon as it's done. But in short, I don't think he's in there. For me that was good news. If he were in there I couldn't get him out. It's probably at least 20 to 30 feet back and six feet or so deep. So I started doing choke points. I went towards the Wind Caves where we've hiked hundreds of times and there is a creek bed about half way. I walked from the Anti Cline to the river and no tracks. I don't think he's made it that far south. That's how it went the whole day. I spent 12 hours in the canyons today and I can't find a single foot print that I can't account for. With last night's ferocious winds I expected today to be a clean slate. I figured he'd hike from 7am to 10am and then take shelter until 4pm or so with temps in the 90s again. Then maybe hike for three hours. I saved the places I thought he was the most likely for the 4pm to 7pm slot because I wanted footprints to follow. But I got nothing. Just before dark the ravens were squawking up a storm by the finger canyons but a couple showed up wanting to rent a room and I turned them away and then a deputy sheriff showed up and needed some help with a problem and I didn't make it into the canyon but I'll be there when the sun comes up. They announced Kobae was missing on the local radio station this morning and there will be a few folks from Moab coming out in the morning and more coming down from Salt Lake. Thank you. I'll find room for you. I try to be a bad ass but I'm a complete mess. When you get here I'll likely be out in the canyons but there will be a walkie on the cooler and the front door will be wide open in case Kobae comes back. Call me on the walkie and I'll return and get you briefed.

3 comments:

Andrea said...

Shelly and I are hoping that Kobae shows up soon!

Unknown said...

Heart ache.. thinking of you during this time of worry and fear. Hugs big guy!

cyn said...

Know our hearts and thoughts are with you and Kobae.