Sunday, January 7, 2024

The Best of Times

I think the first seven days of 2024 might be the best days Jax and I have had together. He is actually turning into a cattle dog. Curtis is pushing the cows down Lockhart Basin where they will come out in Needles. But he's got to find them all. Some are in Jackson Hole. some in Dripping Springs the canyon behind the Wind Caves, some on the way to the turn off to Lockhart, some sneak in my property, and some are in the big area on the way to Chicken Corner and even more go up Hurrah Pass and drop down into Kane Creek Canyon. On this day Curtis, his horse, and one to three dogs are going to try and clear out Dripping Springs. I tell him Jax and I came across 15 cows in the first canyon on the right on the trail going up to the mines. We'll go see if we can hike up there and drive them down a couple levels.
We pushed them down one level and then eight of the went left and seven went down to the next level.
Curtis had about 100 cows so he left and took them down a ways on Lockhart. Jax and I headed back to the lodge and when we got there five cows were up against the gate. I stopped the truck, opened the door and Jax went charging into them chasing them up the driveway. When he came back he had the biggest smile on his face. Ran up to me and jumped on me wanting to glove fight so I sat down in the road and we battled it out like we do almost every hike.

No comments: