Tuesday, December 12, 2023

The Hiking

Almost every day Jax and I are out the door to hike and explore. The days are in the 40s and the hiking weather is perfect. At the end of the pavement in town coming out here somebody put up a sign saying Kane Creek Trail is closed for two weeks. I've never heard of Kane Creek Trail. I think a lot of people read that sign and go back into Moab. I drive to town and don't see anybody. I drive back and pass one vehicle. In real life there is some construction 28 miles down Kane Creek Canyon which nobody every takes anyway and they closed it at the very end to do construction for some pipelines but I talked to Curtis, the cowboy that brings all the cattle out here each year and he said you can drive right around it. I should probably take the sign down as it's misleading and ill informed and some people aren't getting to go to Chicken Corner and Wind Caves thinking the road is closed. I'd get caught, or worse yet I'd put it on the blog trying to right a wrong and somebody would come out and chew my ass. I don't know who said it, somebody did, if not I will, Give the government five years in charge of the Sahara Desert and by the end their would be a sand shortage. I'll leave the sign there and hoard sand just in case.
The trail from the creek bed around the corner to the boat ramp is nice and we finally have a little bit of beach. First year ever we didn't have one.
On our hikes I'm looking to learn whatever I can or find fossils and the like. Jax is reading the scent of everything that has happened in the last 24 hours.
Every year across the canyon on top of Pot Ash Point there is what looks like an Airstream parked for the winter. I've never met him but have worried about him. The last two years he had quite a cough and it was pretty bad. I didn't think I'd see him this year. A few days ago Jax and I spend about four hours out there exploring and it's quiet. I can hear him walking around his campsite and when he sits outside I hear him turn the pages in his book. This year he seems much better. A few slight coughs but seems like he's on the mend.

No comments: