Monday, December 25, 2023

Dripping Springs, Four Fingers and a Thumb mine

When Jax and I got to the third obstacle on the road to Dripping Springs instead of going left into Dripping Springs we went right. Many years ago I discovered a mine that still had everything in it. Plates and silverware on the table with four chair, a bottle of wine, carton of Lucky Strike, jackets hanging up and two pair of boots sitting there. In the early days I hiked it with guests. Then I sent a couple of familites up there one day several years ago and they told me there was a cave in right by the mind and they could see some of the stuff in there but the opening was narrow and they didn't want to take a chance. Jax and I headed out to see what it looked like now. You can see the mine top center of the first picture. Gonna be a climb.
We're taking the old mining road zig zagging back and forth. It's the long way but also the only way.
We're almost up to the Four Fingers and a Thumb rock and the next turn should take us to the mine. Jax finds a dead Kangaroom rat and when we get 500 feet or so from the mine a huge rock slide has buried the road.
I don't see a safe way around it. Time to head back.

1 comment:

Irene said...

Hey Tom,

Cool to see you now have a dog to hike with. I believe on our last visit you said Jax was the best dog, so I am glad he is there with you.

Merry Christmas!

Greetings from Andy, Irene, and Ani