Friday, October 20, 2023

Jax and Kobae

We offered Kobae to go with us but he just sat on the porch so Jax and I went hiking.
It's been a weird rainy season and by that I mean we haven't gotten any rain. Last year at this time Linny and I were both fighting for our lives on seperate rains at different ends of the property. Ten or so years ago we had five once in a hundred year rains in sixteen days which shaped the way the creeks are now. Instead of lots of little ones there are two main ones running through the property and into the river. Nothing in the forecast either all the way through the end of the month.
Teresa and T5 found a dead skunk yesterday. So hurts to lose friends in the wildlife. Their time is so much more limited than ours. We buried it in the wildlife cemetary that is hidden right by the lodge. It's been a couple years or so since we've had to do that. I think it's been two years or so since we buried Dexter a dog of some guests who died on top of Hurrah on their way here. They knew he was close so set out on a week vacation to take him hiking in various places not imagining of course this would be his final resting place. We're all out there with shovels with tears coming down our faces. I didn't even know Dexter but I know the hurt so I'm out their crying with them. The next day Kobae did go with us.
It's mostly a pleasure to hike with Kobae until it's time to turn around. When we follow him down the driveway or up the hill I mostly let him go wherever he wants unless I see potential danger coming and if that's the case sometimes the battle becomes intense about direction before I wanted it too. I don't want to fight him on the hike because I know I'll need all my energy for the turn around and go home battle which is almost always an exhasuting battle. Yesterday it took me 45 minutes to turn him around so we could get home by dark which we just barely did.

No comments: