Saturday, March 25, 2023

Well This is New

A couple days ago Jax and I are out exploring in our matching vests stll searching for answers to our missing friend the Hybrid. We're hiking up on top above the lodge where we found coyote tracks. Was kind of weird. We followed them and then they just quit with sand all around and no tracks. Like it got swallowed up. Then we got down to the road heading out to the Base Camp sign coming back from the direction of the Wind Caves and headed down the drive way. No mountain lion tracks where she usually comes into the property. We round the corner and get passed by Teresa and Jesse coming back from town. After they drive by Jax attacks me on the road close to where the ghost foxes live. He thinks he's a mountain lion and even when we're hiking and it's 100 degree day I have to wear gloves because he may attack me from anywhere. So he jumps on me and I fall to the ground and we glove fight while he runs around me in circles growling and I try and fend him off with my work gloves. We glove fight for five or ten minutes and then I say "Let's go home." He comes over and I rub his neck and top of his head and we head home. Jax starts walking towards the lodge. I stand up and follow Jax. I've only walked four or five steps and I hear the footsteps charging up behind me. Everything tells me it's a mountain lion. From step to step the time is consistent and then it's not. I figure it has jumped into the air and is going for my neck. I'm sure I have the timing right and I duck down assuming it's going for the throat. If he doesn't jump over me it will be a tenth of a second until I feel impact. There's nothing. I lift my head up slightly and it doesn't land in front of me and there's no impact. I stand back up and look around in a circle. There's nothing. I walk back 20 feet and there are no tracks in the drive way sand. I look at Jax and he's staring at where the ghost foxes live. Maybe he saw something but he's not talking. I'm 100% sure there was something running hard behind me right to me. But, there's nothing.
Jax and I head over to where the ghost foxes live and Jax and I spend a chunk of the day over there searching. We see bobcat, coyote, fox, raccoon and most every over kind of track but no mountain lion.

No comments: