Tuesday, March 10, 2015

San Diego: Day Four, What A Day

Kobae and I are hiking around the neighborhood trying to get by the elementary school before it lets out and Kobae gets mobbed by a hundred kids. We take a left and start down hill towards the canyons. As Kobae and I are walking across the street I'm watching for traffic and reading my book and I'm on his left side protecting him from any oncoming traffic. I look down and in a matter of seconds his left eye swells all up and looks like it's about to pop out of his head. Then his third eyelid (white) comes down. He looks like he's undergoing makeup to be on the Walking Dead. He pulls his head in a couple times trying to clear his eye and then starts trying to poke at it with his left leg. I look at his other eye and it's fine but he's blind on one side. I guide him by the sidewalk and into the shade and then call Heather to get my truck and come help. She sends a friend, Beth, in the truck. Tears are rolling down Kobae's face and out of his eye and he's got a small pool of water under him. As I'm picking him up to put him in the truck I feel the tear down my back. I think I'm going to drop him but I gut out the pain and get a knee up to keep him from falling and finally get him in the backseat. Tears are rolling down my face but I don't feel like I'm crying. It's more like whatever was in Kobae's eye, when I bent down to pick him up and got close to his face, was in my eyes. I'm popping Ibuprophen all the way to the Vets office.

No comments: