Sunday, August 30, 2020

Was a Week Like No Other

 I've lost track of the things that broke last week but I'll try and recall some. One Polaris it appears ran out of oil and the engine seized on guests clear out by Chicken Corner and that's on me apparently. It had just got out of a full service at the shop so I admit I didn't check the oil for the two week span. It usually goes months but it's toast and a new engine has been ordered. Will be between four and five thousand. The other Polaris keep breaking the right rear axle. Four of them in a month and they are premium axles. The last two times I went to town to get it the axle would break before I even got the McDonalds. It's pretty obvious to me it's a different issue. It feels like you're in first gear with the brake on so there's a transmission issue of some sort but for whatever reason they just keep replacing the axle. I had Nations pick it up and they're looking at it this time. For the first time ever I'm out of side by sides. Drey burned one up driving it to town without water or a working fan and the one I have left I just use around the property because it overheats after a mile or two. I have nothing for guests and thousands in upcoming repair bills. I think I want out of the side by side business. 

I have new batteries at the lodge but the generator is coming on way to soon before they get very deep into the batteries. Then the generator quit coming on. I had checked the propane a week earlier and the gauge showed 425 gallons left. I tapped on the gauge with a rock and it went right to zero. The tank for the generator was out so I lost power twice and had to wait for enough sun to recharge. Then the lodge hot water quit. I couldn't re-light the hot water heater. The tank supporting the lodge was out also. I thought both tanks were linked together but turns out they both just went out at the same time. I usually don't even check them until September but this year all the business happened in the summer with the coolers on and energy stretched to it's maximum. Both filters in the coolers clogged up with salt water so had to buy new filters and replace them and immediately one of the pumps went out in one of the coolers.That all happened at the lodge. 

Amerigas who use to provide the propane here before I fired them and went to Ferrell sent me a letter giving me a yearly charge for one of their propane tanks. I wrote on the back of the bill, as I do each year, that I fired you years ago and you never came and got your tanks. I should be charging you a location fee for leaving your stuff here which I don't use. 

The generator next door at Last Hurrah was on it's last legs at 20 something years old. I bought a new tech one with fancy gadgets. It worked for about a week and quit. The propane tanks next door are old. The generator rep said old tanks sometimes turn the propane into liquid which clogs up the new generators. So I had it unhooked and propane hooking up to the old generator again. Then I ran out of propane at Last Hurrah. I had checked that gauge last week also and it showed 85% full. The generator guy showed me how that tank works on a sort of compass that you set on top and if somebody put it in the float the wrong way it gives a false reading. I never even knew it floated. He picked it up, put it in the right way and it went from 85% to 0%. Both houses, both hogans, were out of propane and I have two 500 gallon and a 1,000 gallon tank. Both Base Camp and Last Hurrah ran out at the same time. Ferrell came out with a couple of small tanks and hooked them up until they could get a big truck here but the small tanks wouldn't run generators and the dryers. Ferrell can't get here until next week so I got their permission to use a third company and they come give me a 500 gallon drop at both places. I'm back in business. We put gas in Base Camp and when we get over to Last Hurrah he says how much you want? I said the two 500 gallon tanks and the 1,000 gallon tank are all linked just put 500 in there until Ferrell gets here next week. He says "I see the two 500 gallon tanks, where's the 1,000 gallon tank?" I walk around the other side of his truck and it's gone. A 1,000 gallon tank that weighs 1,700 pounds empty has vanished in the last 48 hours.


There are fresh tracks of somebody backing in, loading it, and it's gone. First theft issue I've ever had at the property and it's a big one that makes no sense.




 

 



No comments: