Wednesday, July 1, 2020

Critters

The big news however is the road. San Juan County came and graded both sides. Yes that's what I said. Both sides. I think it's been about eight years since they did my side. I was going up Hurrah Pass the other day, got out and gave the grader operator a standing ovation. It still needs to be hiked to kick or drag all the big rocks but I don't have a dog so I'm not hiking without him in support of WDM. White dogs matter movement which is as close to a social movement as I'll ever get out here.

The raven is still crying every morning about 0530. But the cries are a little less painful and shorter and after a few minutes it eats at the feeding areas with everyone else who have accepted the first time ravens have eaten with the little people.

Kobae is starting to take little hikes around the yard.
Deer visit the sand bar.
Sunsets are amazing. Can't waste a trip into town. Got to bring back wood and gas.
Coming back from the Skinny People hike with Heather I saw a whip tail snake track at the bottom of the driveway. The next day Ze saw a whip snake going into the tree. I grabbed it and pulled it down. Put it in a container and took it next door to the gravel put where I take everything that eats things so they can all eat each other.

Earlier in the day I saw a Golden Eagle fly low over Kobae's pen and then do another loop before departing. Pretty unusual. I take guests to the Main House for check in and while I'm there Heather calls on the walkie and says there's a baby duck in Kobae's pen. When I get to the lodge it's hiding in a bush. I'm thinking the eagle dropped it is how it got inside and then was looking for it when I showed up. If I leave it in the bush this night the foxes will find it and it will be the end. I pick it up and take it into the lodge, put it in a box, put a bowl of water in the box and put it in my room to look for it's mom in the morning. During the night it escapes from the box and I can hear it bumping into things. At 5:30am I can't sleep from all the noise it's making so we head down to the river. My instinct is to put it in the river but that's a lot of people instinct with tortoises not realizing they can't swim so I release it on the river bank. It runs, tries to jump up a ledge falls, jumps, falls, eventually it runs into the bushes.





No comments: