Sunday, April 19, 2020

Life at Base Camp

Michelle left with Jax and their return, if at all, is unknown. Dog from the Condo came over so Kristi's dog Canyon had someone to play with. They both knew to get in the shade of a vehicle before they started playing.
Tawnya and Dre got some driftwood and made a blue heron out of it.
Claret Cup doesn't usually bloom until May but there's one on the side of the hill going to Last Hurrah that exploded.
Life is opening up. Other than airbnb who keeps sending me emails asking me why I'm open since I live in Grand County things are going pretty well. I email them back and say I don't live in Grand I live in San Juan and I'm good to go. Three or four days later, twice now, they've done an investigation and responded with "We have investigated your claim of living in San Juan County and found it to be accurate." Well no shit. After 13 years I'm pretty sure I know where I live. Then three days later I get another email from airbnb saying they're going to block my calendar because I'm still taking reservation though I live in Grand County. And the process starts over.

In the van was a guy named El who showed up late Saturday. Said he met Tammy, Tawnya, and Dre on their way to The Land and they said they'd meet him here on Saturday except I hadn't seen any of them since they left on Friday at 2pm. He had a compass, a knife, and bear spray on his belt. I ask why he was carrying bear spray and he said he likes to take selfies with bears and sometimes it doesn't go right." He waited awhile for Tawnya, Tammy, and Dre and then left. Tawnya and Tammy showed up later and said they met him on Hurrah.
Linda sent me this picture of sunset in San Diego and Andrea this picture of sunset from the Amasa Back by Lars Leber.

One yellow-headed blackbird showed up with the red-winged blackbirds and so I got the bird book out which has all their voice speak and we had a conversation. I don't know about what. Brendan and Amy called to say they are wrapping up the Canyonlands movie and they'll be out in the next week or so and have a screening of the movie here at Base Camp. I emailed Linny's mom to see if I could go up to Salt Lake to get Linny to watch the movie together but never got a response. I've been putting all the guests up at Last Hurrah so they have their own dwelling but took my first guests at the lodge yesterday. So far almost everyone has been Colorado and Utah, lost their jobs a month ago and have been holed up in their homes for three or four weeks. San Juan County still has six or so cases all of which are on the Navajo Reservation along the Arizona line.
I went on Airbnb and Home Away and changed my listings to start with "I'm Open, Last Hurrah, Male Hogan, or similar depending on the rental. I keep getting potential guests emailing me asking if I'm really open because airbnb says I'm not. Kobae hasn't come out of the laundry room in five days but as I'm typing this he just moved onto the porch.
A week since Jax has been gone but everyone still backs into the parking lot and pops their hoods so Jax can see if a rock squirrel heads towards their vehicle. We're all a little bit at risk without the enforcer.




No comments: