Thursday, April 2, 2020

It's Sorted Out

Base Camp and Last Hurrah are open. I appreciate San Juan County a lot. San Juan Economic Development called me again to make sure I was open on Tuesday and I told them I was closed. They ask why. I said the directive saying so. He said, it was a suggestion. We had a meeting this morning and your name and location came up. We had a county wide policy and it wasn't selective. But, for people with few rentals out in the middle of the boonies are different. We're not telling you to shut down. We're assuming you'll use good judgment and make it right. With that San Juan cut me some slack and I don't want to let them down. I feel comfortable renting the main house, the condo, and the hogans though they share the same bathroom so we'll have to work out a program so there's no chance of catching anything. The lodge is a little more difficult. With common areas of kitchen, dining room, and living room and Michelle and I both living here this one will take more work. My goal is to learn as much as I can and come up with an example for others to follow eventually when things start to return to normal or semi normal at least.

That's what we could have done with the movie if the PAW (punk ass weenie) mafia hadn't gotten involved. I heard today that the lady that stirred everything up about not having outsiders come in was in California while she was posting on Facebook. I'm digging into it. Someday Moab will want the movie people back and we could have had a guideline for them to follow from what we would have learned.

On Tuesday temps got to the 70's, some wind but still Kobae finally came out of the laundry room.

On Wednesday Morning Jax, Michelle, and I hiked into Skinny People. Jax can do amazing stuff hiking. He must be thinking why does he get stuck hiking with humans.


When we got back from Skinny People I had three bookings over the next week. Two main house and one hogan. So far all good. Everyone is self quarantined of sorts. I had requests to use the side by side while they're here but I feel like San Juan has given me a tremendous amount of trust and they currently prohibit out of county folks from taking the trails so I'm going with them. I thought it might cost me a booking or two but it didn't.

I can't get Dre to go to the hospital. He's in the boat house gutting it out. Said he'll pass it at some point. He can barely walk.

Later in the day Jax was also in distress but it was mental. I could hear him whimpering so I went out to check what the issue was.

2 comments:

Leah said...

Tom, you may want to check out two new loan-type programs from the small business authority. One is called the paycheck protection program and may not be as helpful since its primary purpose is to provide funding to small businesses for the purpose of covering (mostly) payroll - I'm guessing you don't have much in the way of payroll. It can also be used to cover utilities (yeah, I know you don't have many) and mortgage/mortgage interest payments though, at least in part. You would need to talk to a local lender to get details on what you'd need to qualify. The other is the economic disaster impact (?) loan. I know a lot less about that one, except you apply directly to the SBA for that. Good luck! When we can travel again, you're on the short list.

Tom said...

Hi Leah,

Thank you. San Juan Economic Development has been wonderful. They send me an update on various programs almost every day. I've had hardly any contact with the county is 13 years but since this all happened they've been very attentive.

Tom