Sunday, February 23, 2020

Saturday Tracking

I saw red eyes reflecting off the trucks headlights driving over to Last Hurrah Friday night so Jax and I spent Saturday in the area where the three foxes were spotted, not by me. I only saw the one that was moving, everybody on the blog and Facebook saw the other two in the same picture. I'm surprised at how many trails and tracks there were through the fallen rock and the cliffs. We spent hours and every time we'd climb up a level or down we'd find new tracks. It's a predator highway in the rocks.





Long time residents have their favorite scat spot and some of it is recent.


We found plenty of fox and raccoon which I expected. I found one track of coyote and one of bobcat, which wasn't expected. I've only seen one of each in 13 years on the property. Almost every time tracks would lead into a crack, overhang, or small cave of some sort. Jax's nose was going fast and there were so many tracks he constantly had his nose to the ground. He showed unusual restraint going into the holes. Maybe he's getting it together.





Most of Saturdays climbing was new territory for Jax and places I hadn't been in ten or so years. He really enjoyed it.


The days are mostly 50's or high 40's and it's great hiking but the time is winding down. We saw quite a few vehicles out on the main road from our hiking perches. Won't be long until the first flower blooms. No it's not any of the usual ones you would expect. It's the Moab flower. TPTW. Toilet paper on tumble weeds. They bury it (put a rock on it) but in time it tears and blows until it's collected by a tumbleweed. Apparently no one goes to the bathroom before they leave town.





No comments: