Friday, January 17, 2020

I Got a Letter from Will

About a year ago on the blog I told a story. A story about my friend Will Lutz. Here is is.

http://basecampmoab.blogspot.com/2019/01/i-have-story-will-lutz.html

When I was in town yesterday I picked up my mail at the post office. There was a letter from Will. I kept trying to understand while I was driving back. I just kept staring at the envelope.

When I got back I put it on the table and brought everything in from the Jeep. It's been a little over a year since Will passed. I opened it and there was a note from Carol, Will's mom, and a card from Will.

Hello Tom:

When Will and I were traveling back and forth to the hospital at this time last year he said he wanted to write letters to special people in Let's Play, to tell them how much he loved this company and working with all of them. He said "Mom, you bring your laptop and I'll tell you what to say and you can clean it up and make it sound good. If I make it through this, I can save them until next Christmas and send them then. If I don't you can send them for me."

We made a list and he told me what he wanted to tell you and I brought my laptop the night before he was scheduled for his second surgery but after awhile he was too exhausted and said he would finish them tomorrow....his tomorrow never came....And now Christmas is here, so I am sending you this little gift to remember Will and to tell you what he said."

I opened Will's card.

Tom,

Thank you. I know you had your doubts about me but you gave me the opportunity and challenged me to become one of your super hero managers. I know Base Camp changed your life but I wanted you to know that it changed mine as well. I regret not being able to visit you one more time before all this but hope to see you when it is over.

Will

No comments: