Sunday, July 22, 2018

Some Stuff

Jax and I are hiking the Rock Garden area Saturday morning when guests call on the walkie to say they want to take a side by side so we head back, get them to sign waivers, get them a map, and send them on their way. Even for the short hikes it's sweet to walk one minute down to the river and jump in. Jax is morphing from the "designer dog" that he was when he moved here, to the "desert dog" he has become, and surprisingly his next stage appears to be water dog. For a dog that never liked to go in the water he really likes it now but of course 107 degrees may be responsible for some of that.


Search and rescues are becoming more prevalent as more people come to the area to visit. Fortunately it's rarely been Base Camp guests. Last month we had the roll-over we found on the side of the road in a ditch, then the drunk guys giving each other Last Rites though they were just stuck in sand. A couple weeks ago I laid down in my room mid afternoon to try and catch up on sleep and immediately heard a side by side coming up the driveway. I looked out the window hoping they wouldn't stop and just turn around instead but a lady immediately jumped out of the side by side and ran to the door.

Her: "My husband has been bitten or stung by something."
Me: "It happens."
Her: "You don't understand he's allergic and he's swelling up all over."
Me: "I'm allergic to everything out here. If my hands start to swell up I take a Benedryl. I'll give him one of those."
Her: "We have to call Life Flight to get him emergency evacuated."
Me: "I don't see any issues." If my feet start to swell. I take a second Benedryl and then drive like crazy before I fall asleep. Then I just sit in the emergency room parking lot waiting to see if it gets worse or better.
Her: "I'm an RN. Do you have an epi-pen?
Me: "In every back pack I have."
Her: She pulls my backpacks off the wall, pulls the first Epi-pen out and says "2012" and sits it on the table. The second "2015" and sets it on the table. The third "2016", pops the lid and jams it in his thigh right as he swallow the Benedryl.
Her: "I don't think it worked."
Him: "There's a hole in my thigh."
Me: "I don't see any swelling at all anywhere."
Her: "Thank God, it's working. We have to go and get him to the hospital."
Me: "Take a walkie. If you have an issue between here and the top of Hurrah call me and I'll have them send help."
Her: "What about the other side of Hurrah?"
Me: "You need to have Verizon."
Her: "We don't."
Me: "Take my phone. Leave my phone and walkie in town and let me know where you leave my stuff."
Her: "I'll call you."
Me: "You have my phone."
Her: "We'll figure something out."

That night I get an email saying my stuff is at Moab Tour Company and thanks for saving my life. No epi-pen to replace the one I had and last time I bought one they were around $400 each. Oh well.


No comments: