Friday, July 20, 2018

Friday Morning Hike and Some Stuff

I wanted to see if we could beat our time up and down Hurrah this morning but Jax didn't care and so we turned right and went into the fingers.
Three times in the last couple months guests have come in and said they saw a Colorado chipmunk get taken away from the back feeding area by a hawk and there for a week or so I was going to take a picture of the last one I had and talk about how the hawks have devastated them. While everybody else runs, they always hesitate to assess the situation and that's always fatal. But until last evening I haven't seen a hawk in three weeks and there are Colorado chipmunks everywhere. I assume the ravens are doing their work picking off the hawks still.
I was going to comment that we didn't get any baby raccoons but last night the first batch showed up on the porch so tonight we'll put the GoPro out there with some headlamps by the feeding bowl.
Jax and I wander back into the fingers and find both raven nests abandoned and no ravens protecting the fingers though we hear raven calls a couple canyons to the east.
Under one of the abandoned nests is a disc spin off that I last saw sitting next to the fire pit at Base Camp and a raven has apparently decided that it would look better here in the fingers.

With the demand on the hogans and houses at Last Hurrah we are way short on our power needs so it's looking like I'm going to have to put substantial money into it to get the solar grid collecting more energy.
I've been watering on even numbered days so that I don't forget and I've got each bush figured out as to how much water it needs with the exception of the Cottonwood tree and I frankly don't think there is any figuring out. Eight buckets every other day was keeping leaves from turning yellow (lack of water), then five days of rain leaves began turning brown (too much water), now I have some yellow and some brown on the same stem. Picky picky.


No comments: