Saturday, January 3, 2015

Four Days, Two Theories: Theory #1

In four days of watching songbirds thru the office window and another 15 hours reviewing videos I recorded I've seen about 20 birds of prey attacks. With most critters being creatures of habit it appears to me the same birds of prey attack about the same time each day. It might really be that simple to warding off their attacks. There is a Cooper's hawk that comes early morning. The first two days just before I put the camera out there. Waking up half an hour early the last two days he came over the hill to attack as I was walking out with the Go Pro and veered off. A small Sharp-shinned comes in around 10:30 to 11am and a second Cooper's just a few minutes after that. I would have thought it was the same Cooper's but I saw them both flying together two days ago. In the afternoon the Sharp-shinned comes back, and a larger Sharp-shinned, probably female comes in the late afternoon almost early evening. In short I think they fly the same route every day with slight alterations if they get a meal somewhere or have something pinned down until there is an outcome. I think it's possible I could wait outside at just certain times of the day and drive them off until it wasn't worth their time.........or they'd adjust.

No comments: